
So I have this cousin named, Hena Jung, who lives in Korea. She painted that gorgeous image above. Not only is she a sparkling individual, she's also a professional cartoonist, like me! She's only in her early 20's and her comic is serialized in one of Korea's most popular girls' comics anthologies,
Wink. (It's like one of those phone book sized bi-weekly periodicals I'm sure you're familiar with from manga.)

Her comic, which roughly translates into "A Desirable Place" or "A Desirable Island" (I'm sure I'm totally butchering it with my preschool level Korean), is a shojo-style historical romance. When I was in Korea last year she tried to explain that there was a double meaning to the title, but my Korean is so limited, I couldn't really understand. I believe it had something to do with what Jeju Island (sort of like the Hawaii of South Korea) was originally called back in early Korean history. Anyway, the story (which I'm sure I'm butchering as well because I could only understand snippets of what she said) is about a girl diver living on Jeju Island whose life becomes entangled with the first European explorers to come to Korea. Among other things, I believe a romantic triangle forms between one of the European explorers (I believe he's British), the girl, and a Korean dude. As I said though, don't quote me as this is being filtered through my pathetic level of Korean.I told
Gene about the story and asked him what he thought, and his response was, "It depends on who she ends up with! It better be the Korean dude!" Haha...Well, guess what, this spring her comic is being adapted into a Korean Drama!! Here's the cast below and a pic from the set:

Update: I just found a bunch more stills here, as well as a poster. (Man, it is so annoying how Korean websites don't let you link images.)You can find more info (if you can read Korean) at her
blog.And
here's an online listings of her books.I've known Hena since she was a baby, so you can imagine my immense pride. It's so awesome to have another professional cartoonist in the family. It also makes me bemoan my loss of the Korean language more than ever. Sigh.

Love you, Hena!(The photo of Hena above was taken by another awesome Korean cousin of mine,
GyungJin, who takes great photos.)PS: I know I'm coming off like a Mom bragging about her kids, but well, what can I say, I love my family.