Friday, January 14, 2011

Guest Blogger: Why I don't bother reading the book

   My name is John.  I get bored a lot and have very high opinions about my own opinions, so blogging seemed like the natural segue.  You're welcome and I'm sorry.  I do not claim to be an expert, and that little disclaimer is built right into the URL, folks: John's Intellectual Gobbledygook. 

Considering the content and readership of this blog, I might be publicly caned or this will go down in history as Fantasy Casting’s most hated post ever. Mind you, I am completely OK with the latter scenario. But, I must confess I have never read the Harry Potter Series and don’t think the movies are all that great. Therefore, I definitely did NOT go back and read the books. Also, I’m about as interested in reading or seeing the Twilight Saga as I am interested in seeing how flammable my hair is.

In a world where just about every great book is turned into a movie or an all out movie franchise, why read the books?

I’m a guest here, so you don’t know me, but let me try to shed some light on the above statements. Like most Americans, I am an extremely lazy person who hates being disappointed. Also, if and when I actually read (an US Weekly or others’ blogs) I read REALLY slowly. So, why would I invest a lot of my time and mental energy to get through a 200+ page book just to be disappointed at a crappy ending?

If you just wait for them to make a movie about it, you’re simply out 2 hours and $10. If you read a book that has a horrible ending, you are out hours of your life, countless paper cuts, and the cost of the book. Plus, a movie doesn’t sit on your shelf taunting you for your poor judgment while simultaneously collecting dust.

Just like home ownership, a book is not a level of commitment I am willing to make. This coming from the person whose sole reason for not watching ‘V’ is not having enough time to invest in an hour long show (a.k.a. – not enough DVR space because it is overflowing with episodes of Glee, 30 Rock, Top Chef, and Family Guy reruns).

Finally, the movies I have seen (and loved) that originated from books were fantastic. So why tempt fate? Whether it is cautionary tale about science like Jurassic Park or a cry for hours in your empty bathtub flick like The Notebook, in my mind, I don’t think anything could top these movies.

So, you readers out there, like recovering alcoholics, I will probably never understand this particular life decision. But, I applaud your efforts and your fandom that encourages the transition of text to the silver screen for people like me!

This is actually a bog-swap! That's right, folks, this is Gina and I'm blogging over on John's Intellectual Gobbledygook today. It's not my usual fare, but you could still check it out. By the way, John's an IRL friend, so show him some love in the form of comments and traffic. He loves trolls, too.