Saturday, January 29, 2011

Who would you be?

Not so long ago, I asked you all:
Who would you be?
If you could become any literary character, who would it be and why?

Many of you flooded my comments with amazing characters: John McClane, Nick Carroway, Maximum Ride, Corrie ten Boom, Bridget Jones, Scarlet O'Hara, Robert Langdon, Princess Leia and three (three!) readers chose Harry Potter characters, Harry or Hermione, depending on the gender of the person. Over on the Book Blogs forums, two more people chose Harry Potter characters (Ginny and Hermione) and others responded with Jane Pittman, Stephanie Plum, Raven, Gandalf, Princess Mia, Caroline Bingley, Elinor Dashwood and Karen Blixen.  Plus, three bloggers sent me links to posts that they wrote in response.

I'd like you to read them.

First, Penelope of The Reading Fever (which is a way cute book review blog) highlighted some of her favorite traits of some of her favorite characters, and made her decision a little differently than I did.

Jennifer, of Jennifer Welborn Writes, picked Hermione Granger, and outlined a litany of reasons why she and Hermione are kindred souls. This is the magic of books, people: finding yourself splashed across the pages of a novel and seeing yourself live another life.

Juli from Universe in Words, chose another strong female character, Eowyn, from Lord of the Rings. She has a second choice, a "runner up" if you will, so go check out her post!

I was so excited that people were getting into this topic, that I told my husband about it, and he immediately answered: "Richard Rahl."

I was so taken aback, I hadn't even got around to asking his choice yet, but he knew immediately who he wanted to be. The TV version of the Seeker of Truth series is so terrible that I cannot even bring myself to post the picture of the actor who plays Richard, but here's the artist's rendering on the cover of the fourth book in the series, Temple of the Winds:
I'm not surprised that the hubs picked Richard- the man is altruistic in the most pure definition of the word. He rules- essentially- the world, and has the most powerful forces of the universe at his fingertips, but he's just a regular un-assuming guy who wants everyone to have the chance to be free and live their own lives.

If you wrote about this topic, or if you have a new idea, let me know. I LOVE reading this stuff, guys!