Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Who would you be?

Everybody has read a book that touched them so deeply that they felt they were really a part of the story. Even if you're not a "reader," and this book was last in your hands when you were twelve, it's still happened to you.

Some of us don't identify with every single main character. There are some I can really get behind, and others that I want to slap up beside the head. Sometimes it's a peripheral character that we really see ourselves in. Other times, it's not until you see the movie version that you really see your life in this character.

Some of my favorite books do not star characters, even female leads, that I identify with. For me, the best books are the ones that transport me to a place and a world and a feeling that I've never felt before. Not one that's totally alien, just an angle or situation that is outside the norm for my boring little life.

For example, if I were ever to be cast as a book character, it would likely be somebody like Bridget Jones. She says some dumb things, and she is certainly not being the best version of herself and I have some experience with both of those things (why, hello, bag of chocolate chips, how have you been?).

But, if I could force myself into a character's life and live a day or a year in her shoes, I think it would be the film version of Buttercup from The Princess Bride. Honestly, who wouldn't want to be the most beautiful woman in the world, with the greatest love in the world, and be as strong and sure of herself and her life as Robin Wright's version of Buttercup is?


So, tell me: If you could be any literary or film character, who would you choose? Would you choose somebody like you, or somebody you wish you could be like?