Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Why I lust after Westley (AKA Dread Pirate Roberts)

Hey all, I just wanted to let you know I'm over at Ramblings of a Singleton today, talking about why I lust after Westley, AKA the Dread Pirate Roberts, from Princess Bride. Go check out my post here, leave some comment love and justify my fictional obsession.
EDIT: Here is the original text of the post as it first appearing on Ramblings of a SingletonEverybody is in love with at least one fictional character, even if they refuse to admit it to themselves.

Of course, some of us admit it a little too freely (Twihards... I'm looking at you.) But, long before the Team Edward vs. Team Jacob war erupted all over the interwebs, people, women in particular have been falling in love (or lust) with fictional characters.

I know the "traditional" love affairs with literary characters tend to revolve around Austen's arsenal of "perfect" men: Darcy, Betram, and Knightley. Some women pine for Heathcliff or Mr. Rochester. That's not really my bag, though. I like a little more mystery, a little more danger, and a little more passion than that.

That's why I am secretly in love with Westley, also known as The Dread Pirate Roberts, from The Princess Bride. 

Think about it; why wouldn't I be in love with this guy? What more could a woman possibly want in a man? Let's see...

He's handsome. Um, if I need to explain this one, there may be no hope for you at all.

He's steadfast. He's loved Buttercup for all his life. From the time he was practically a child, he's watched her from afar and loved her silently. His only aim in life is to be near her, to care for her and hope that she someday cares for him.

He's brave. He survived the assault from the previous Dread Pirate Roberts because he refused to beg and cry and plead for his life. He looked the dreadful pirate straight in the eyes and asked, "Please." and then was taken prisoner, for what he thinks is the first time in Roberts' long, murderous history. He made chase when all other men would have turned back. He faced one fatal enemy after another just to have Buttercup in his arms once more.

He's strong. He endures what ought to be unendurable agony at the torturing hands of Count Rugen. He climbs 300 feet of sheer cliff face with his bare hands. He chokes a giant nearly to death. I'm pretty sure most of our significant others can't even do P90X without wanting to die.

He's courteous. He leaves Inigo and Fezzik alive, because they no longer pose a threat to him. I know, I know, he knocked them each unconscious first, but sometimes you have to recognize the little things. He could have killed them, and he chose not to. That's good manners.

How many of us have men in our lives who cross the ocean to create a suitable home for us?

How many of us have men who turn to piracy as a means to survival, just to be able to one day return to us?

How many of us have men who would learn to fence, fight, climb cliffs, survive poisoning and navigate fire swamps just to have the chance to be at our side again someday?

How many of us have men who cheat death, actually die and linger in the very nearest reaches of the afterlife so that they can come back to life just to save us from unhappiness and disappointment?

How many of us have men that defy laws, physics and all known laws of miracles in order to to say to us "As you wish."?



Gina blogs over at Fantasy Casting, where she blogs about books, movies, books becoming movies, books versus movies and anything else book-and-movie related. You can contact her here. You can read my review of The Princess Bride at Goodreads.com