Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Linger

Recently, I put up my fantasy cast for Shiver, the first book in the Wolves of Mercy Falls series by Maggie Stiefvater. When I did, I completely forgot to mention that this book series was suggested to me by a reader! My sister recommended these to me, but Megan from Megan Moments also suggested these books. Megan also is the person who encouraged me to keep reading when I wasn't sure I wanted to, so thanks, Megan for the suggestions!

Like every sequel, there are new characters to contend with, but Linger, the second book in this series, offers up some really, really heavy personalities to contend with. The first is Cole St. Clair, a volunteer wolf who is trying to escape his life as the lead singer of the uber-popular rock band Narkotika (commence singing "Lifestyles of the Rich and the Famous" now). He's described as being tall, broad and incredibly strong. He's also got some substance abuse problems, and of course, all the ego and swagger that comes with being a rock star. This guy, Michael Pitt, isn't quite as handsome as I pictured, but he certainly has the dirty rock star vibe down pat:
mangeslamerde.blogspot.com

But, if you're dead set on the "handsome" part of this character (which, something tells me this will be the most important part of the casting choice when the time comes), I suggest somebody more like Taylor Kitsch. In fact, can I just suggest Taylor Kitsch for any part that will require being half naked/ mostly naked for the rest of forever? Thanks.
filmonic.com
Along with Cole comes Victor. Victor is Cole's best friend and the drummer for their band. He's got the same substance problems Cole does, but he's more angry than he is self-loathing. He's skinnier and less impressive in general. Jackson Rathbone could do it... so long as they stick to the book and don't give Victor too many lines. But, just for looking handsome and strung out? Rathbone's the man.
rtvchannel.tv

And, really, Grace's parents appear for the first time in Shiver, but they're around so little that I forgot about them completely. So, I'll cast them here. Grace's dad, Mr. Brisbane, is a corporate suit who works insane hours and ignores his daughter in the name of money and status. He's gruff and uncaring, and I pictured somebody like Mark Valley.
top7men.blogspot.com

Grace's mother is an artist who ignores her daughter- but flirts with her boyfriend- in the name of artistic expression. She leaves town for entire days to sell her generic and abstract art and offers in a not-so-appropriate way to paint a portrait of Sam. I thought of her as a free spirit; somebody naturally beautiful, and somebody who would look at home in bare feet with a pencil holding her hair back, you know? Like Elisabeth Shue.
mylifetime.com

Please post your ideas in the comments- whether you agree with me or not!
You can read my review of Linger on GoodReads.com