Thursday, January 20, 2011

Maximum Ride Adjustments

I've just finished the School's Out- Forever, the second book in the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson, and there are some changes to make to my initial fantasy cast

First of all, I think I must be some kind of weirdo shut in for not having read a Patterson novel before Jumble Mash directed me to The Angel Experiment, and Maximum Ride in general. Did you know that Patterson's work accounts for one out of every 17 hardback novels sold in the US? That's insane to me.

So, anyway, I stand by my vision of slightly older young adults playing the bird kids if this ever makes it to movie-land. (It has been green lit for 2013, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.) However, upon reading the second book, I realize that I made at least one humongous mistake.

When talking about one of the bird-kids, Nudge, I, well... here's my little blurb about her:

Nudge is a younger girl and is quite the motormouth. This girl has issues. I mean, they all have issues, being genetic freaks and orphans and all, but this girl is still coming to grips with it all. Any actress who play her will have to have some serious chops. This is where I see Abigail Breslin

I stand by my assesment of the character, and I stand by the fact that Abigail Breslin is a phenomonal little actress and could handle this part. One problem: Nudge is black.

Whoops. I don't know how I missed that the first time around, and I don't know how you guys let me get away with fantasy casting Abigail Breslin for a black girl's role. (Tress- I'm looking at you!)

I change my vote to Zendaya Coleman. She's on a Disney show that is incredibly irritating, but, there are a couple of things to remember: 1- she's adorable, and that goes a long way in Hollywood and 2- she's one of two girls carrying that entire annoying show, which displays a work ethic and ability far deeper than it appears and 3- it's not her fault Disney panders to an audience of empty-headed tweens. She's just doing what she's paid to do.
zimbio.com
There's a new character in this book, Anne. She works for the FBI, she's all motherly and sweet and wants to adopt the kids, until you find out her big dark secret. I don't know if she's around a lot in future books, and I don't know if this kind of part could attract a big name, but I see somebody like Mariska Hargitay pulling this one down. I know, in the book she's blond, but the whole motherly-cop thing sits well with Ms. Hargitay.
mariskahargitay.fansiter.com
The bird kids get enrolled in school in this book, and we get to meet their douche-bag principal. This guy seriously hates kids and works really, really hard to make sure everybody knows it. It is weird that I saw somebody like Clint Howard or Wallace Shawn? I know they normally are making funny with the ha-ha, but I think either of them could look appropriately apoplectic.
fringepedia.net
theendofcinema.blogspot.com
While normally I hate to post spoilers, I do have to post a little tiny one in order to cast this last part. Total is Angel's dog that she rescues at the end of the first book, The Angel Experiment. About twenty pages into this second book, we find out that the dog can talk. And he is one sarcastic little pup. So, of course, he needs a voice. I desperately want Seth Rogen. Did you see Monsters vs. Aliens or Horton Hears a Who? And the trailers for Paul? Uh. Hil-ar-i-ous. This guy is going to go down in history as one of the comedic-voicework-geniuses of all time.
moviedime.com

Please post your ideas in the comments- whether you agree with me or not!