My reasons for wanting more people to read certain books might sound strange to you, but then again... you're reading this blog, so... maybe not.
I am sad when I discover a book, read it, re-read it, obsess about it and then find out that it was terribly unpopular. If a book is terribly unpopular, there is a good chance that it will never be given the proper big-screen treatment. And I love seeing books brought to life on the big screen.
Which is why I am sad that more people have not read The Lost Swords series by Fred Saberhagen.
I think the reason they're less than popular is because they cross genres; they blend high fantasy with science fiction and mythology. Maybe it's because they were published during the high-fantasy dark days of the late eighties, or maybe because they came from a predominantly science-fiction author who was better known for something completely different from these books.
Who knows.
I just wish more people had read them, because a dedicated following of fans means a movie is in the works.
I am glad a movie deal wasn't inked during publication; the last book in the story kind of turns the whole world on its ear, and maintaining consistency would have been difficult if they made movies before the last book was published. I'm also glad that I don't have to watch cringe-inducing special effects in an adaptation of these books.
But the time has come; these books aren't anything like Inception or Narnia or anything else with a huge CGI budget; they could be made easily today, with a comparatively small budget. So, please, if you have fantasy fans in your life, get them to read these books, so that the movies will be made!
A blogging friend of mine posted a bookish meme, after reading it on another blogging friend's site. I can't not participate! This post was written as the first post in the 30 Days of Books.
The full list:
Day 01 – The best book you read last year
Day 02 – A book that you’ve read more than 3 times
Day 03 – Your favorite series
Day 04 – Favorite book of your favorite series
Day 05 – A book that makes you happy
Day 06 – A book that makes you sad
Day 07 – Most underrated book
Day 08 – Most overrated book
Day 09 – A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving
Day 10 – Favorite classic book
Day 11 – A book you hated
Day 12 – A book you used to love but don’t anymore
Day 13 – Your favorite writer
Day 14 – Favorite book of your favorite writer
Day 15 – Favorite male character
Day 16 – Favorite female character
Day 17 – Favorite quote from your Favorite book
Day 18 – A book that disappointed you
Day 19 – Favorite book turned into a movie
Day 20 – Favorite romance book
Day 21 – Favorite book from your childhood
Day 22 – Favorite book you own
Day 23 – A book you wanted to read for a long time but still haven’t
Day 24 – A book that you wish more people would’ve read
Day 25 – A character who you can relate to the most
Day 26 – A book that changed your opinion about something
Day 27 – The most surprising plot twist or ending
Day 28 – Favorite title
Day 29 – A book everyone hated but you liked
Day 30 – Your Favorite book of all time
|
|
|---|